Colorado Recovery Forum

Mental Illness Guide: Care, Support, and Education
Colorado Recovery home page
[Home] [Up] [Support Group] [Help]


How can I help my relative with their finances?

Sometimes a person who has a mental illness cannot manage everything on his/her own. There are things a family can do to help the person with mental illness with his/her finances. Some of these options give the person more freedom and control over his/her own affairs than others. There are four basic options. These are guardianship, representative payee, conservatorship and power of attorney. Click on the links below to learn more about each of these options.


Alternatives to Guardianship (Representative Payee, Conservatorship, Power of Attorney)